DIY: I reupholstered our Bergere chair with florals! Oooolala double welt!

Remember our bergere chair that I found on Craigslist for $20 and reupholstered with curtains?

Well, like everything else in our apartment, I felt like it was time for a change. When we were packing up our apartment during our move I laid this left over fabric from a skirt I made last year onto the chair and had an epiphany.

Epiphany

I loved the way it looked next to our new paint and lace curtains. This fabric isn’t something you would normally upholster with. It’s a silky semi-strechy apparel fabric, but who cares? This chair is rarely used and more for decorative purposes so I don’t care. It’s cute!

I ripped the old fabric and upholstered it just like I did here. Instead of nailheads I decided to finish it with double welt cording. I took these really crappy iPhone pics for you:

Double welt cording
I didn’t have long enough strips of fabric so I had to sew some together. Normally you want to cut strips on a cross-grain but I didn’t. Anyway sew your strips together like this.
Double Welt Cording
When you lay it flat it’ll look like this.
Then encase your cording rope and use your zipper foot to stitch
Then encase your cording rope and use your zipper foot to stitch.
Put another piece of cording next to the 1st piece and roll it over. Using your regular foot, sew down the middle over your last stitch.
Put another piece of cording next to the 1st piece and roll it over. Using your regular foot, sew down the middle over your last stitch.
Cut off the excess fabric as close as possible.
Cut off the excess fabric as close as possible.
Carefully hot glue it on over your stapled edges.
Carefully hot glue it on over your stapled edges.

Now it looks like this!

DIY Floral Chair Upholstery

Marble top table from Topanga Flea $15; Brass vase from Goodwill $5; roses from TJ's $6
Marble top table from Topanga Flea $15; Brass vase from Goodwill $5; roses from TJ’s $6

DIY Floral Chair Upholstery DIY Floral Chair Upholstery

Advertisements

DIY: Reupholstered Craigslist Chair using CURTAINS!

Ok, I’m pretty into the whole Hollywood Regency style of decor but it’s not always my idea of fun to spend $800 on an arm chair. I picked up this chair from some chick on Craigslist a few months ago. The seat was sunken in, the fabric was kind of raunchy and stained with mysterious substances, it had a bad paint job, and one of the arms was loose, but it didn’t have bedbugs and at $20 seemed like a steal. I mean right?

When I was finally ready to do this project (when I stopped being lazy) I couldn’t seem to find a fabric I was ready to commit to, especially at up to $40/yd for upholstery fabrics. During a random stop at the nightmare Ross on 3rd, my husband pointed out a curtain panel that would be a good option for the mean time. Then we were like “welll….techincally it’s fabric”. So, for $6 I had more than enough fabric for the chair. Here’s how I did it.

Remove all of the old stuff. Ugh, worst part. Pay close attention to how the old fabric was attached while you’re removing it. You will need to reattach it in the same way. Once the chair is stripped bare (oooh, lala), use the old fabric pieces as a template. I used chalk to outline each piece and then cut them out. If you’re working with a design or pattern it’s a good idea to try to match up it up so the seat and back match each other. It’s probably a good idea to iron or steam out any wrinkles first, which I didn’t demonstrate here because I’m the worst.

To fix the sunken in seat all I had to do was tighten the loose, saggy upholstering webbing and secure with 2 rows of staples. Cut it, pull it, staple it.

Now it was time to get to the fun stuff. I painted the wood frame with primer and a satin white paint. Then I finished it with a coat of clear acrylic for a high gloss finish. I used Safecoat Naturals paint, primer and Safecoat’s Acrylaq sealer for this project. You can use whatever. I was testing eco-friendly paints. This one is pretty good.

The foam was still in relatively good shape so I just covered it with a layer of new batting. I attached my new fabric using my trusty electric staple gun. The size of staple depends on how thick your fabric is. It’s a good idea to start each section with 2 anchor staples (top/bottom, back/front, etc) and then work your way around pulling the fabric taut as you go. I should have taken more photos during this process but oops! Next time, promise. At this point you should trim any excess fabric away from the edges using a blade or small scissors.

Now it’s time for the trim. The finishing touch! The icing on the cake! The….sorry. The most popular choices are cording, gimp braids (har har har), or nail heads. The obvious choice for me was nailhead trim in a nickle finish…it’s like jewelry! These nailhead strips are amazing and super easy to attach. I got it for $10 at Joann’s thanks to a 50% off coupon. If you’re paying attention, so far I’ve spent less than $20 on new materials.

Apply the trim so it’s covering all of your staples. Using a rubber tip on your hammer prevents scratching the nail heads and damaging the wood. Do any touch ups and repairs as needed. I fixed the arm by hammering it back in and using caulking to cover the separated joint.

All done! $20 chair transformed with less than $20 of new materials, of course assuming you already have paint. In LA this would cost like $4,000 and part of your soul.